Here you will find a sample sales resume along with writing tips and strategies to help you boost the effectiveness of your sales management resume.
One of the biggest questions we get from clients is this:
How do I approach my sales resume objective?
This is where you want to put some of your best abilities and achievements about you; e.g. specialized sales skills, sales awards, recognition from superiors, your best sales achievements, and maybe a snippet of testimonial from a client. Avoid including everything, but definitely, introduce some “eye candy” to help HR managers and recruiters learn more about your skill level in sales.
When writing your resume, what sales resume words work best for those in sales?
Below are many sales and marketing keywords and key phrases for your resume:
- Account Development
- Account Management
- Account Retention
- B2B/B2C Customer Base
- Brand Management
- Business Development
- Campaign Management
- Client Base Development
- Competitive Analysis
- Competitive Contract Award
- Competitive Market Intelligence
- Competitive Product Positioning
- Consultative Sales
- Corporate Training Programs
- Customer Loyalty
- Customer Need Assessments
- Dept Budgeting/Forecasting
- Direct Mail Marketing
- Direct Response Marketing
- Direct Sales
- Distributor Management
- Emerging Markets
- Expand Sales Penetration
- Field Sales Management
- Global Markets
- Global Sales
- High-Impact Presentations
- Incentive Planning
- Indirect Sales
- International Sales
- International Trade
- Key Account Management
- Lead Generation & Cold Calling
- Margin Improvements
- Market Launch (New Product/Service)
- Market Positioning
- Market Reach & Expansion
- Market Share Ratings
- Market Surveys
- Multimedia Advertising
- Multimedia Marketing Communications
- Multi-Channel Distribution
- Multi-Channel Sales
- National Account Management
- New Business Development
- New Market Development
- New Product Introduction
- Product Campaign
- Product Launch
- Product Lifecycle Management
- Product Positioning
- Profit Growth
- P&L Management
- Public Relations
- Public Speaker/Communicator
- Relationship Maintenance
- Revenue Growth
- Sales Closing
- Sales & Marketing Strategies
- Sales Forecasting
- Sales Management
- Sales Presentations
- Sales Training
- Sales-Cycle Management
- Six-Figure Contract Negotiations
- Solutions Selling
- Strategic Market Planning
- Tactical Market Plans
- Territory Growth
- Trend Analysis
Take the below resume as an example.
Right away, you learn that Janette is a top 2% performer. This automatically puts her candidacy ahead of many others.
Then, her resume contains a “top-tier achievements” section.
You might be wondering, why include this section?
It’s important to note that you don’t have to layout your sales resume this way.
You could just as easily put these achievements under each appropriate job title.
We opted to format Janette’s resume this way because although she’s had many great successes throughout her career, there have been some sales roles where she had dismal performance. If we’d listed her achievements under each job role, the overall look of her resume would have looked a bit “out of alignment” (more listed under some positions, and much less under others).
Need help writing an accomplishment-based, eye-catching sales resume? If so, check out these management and executive resume examples. Then, contact Resume to Referral to write a better sales and marketing management resume for you.
Here’s an Example Sales Resume:
Janette Smith – Top 2% Sales Performance
1911 Salmith Street, Houston, TX 77005
(281) 128-9133 | firstname.lastname@example.org
KEY ACCOUNT & SALES PROFESSIONAL
Top Sales Recognition/Account & Business Development/Strategic Sales
High-impact sales and account professional who has worked with Fortune 500 clients. Aggressive sales and marketing tactics allow for sizable increases to the company’s client base and revenue expectations. Provide the technical know-how when conducting software presentations, and addressing platform functions and usability features. Work extensively with product development and project management teams as well, ensuring customers receive personalized care and timely follow-up to any issues throughout the customer lifecycle.
Recognized for a few top-tier achievements throughout career, including:
- Targeted and grew new market territories 48.1% within Florida and the Caribbean basin.
- Forged profitable sales channels and business alliances with software giants: SAP, Lawson, Oracle, and Ultimate Software.
- Received Several Awards – Top Sales for 1999 and 2000; #1 Marketing Representative, July 1996; Top performance from 1993 to 1995
- Designed and implemented an inbound telemarketing sales training program, which boosted sales closing rates by 31.5%.
- Developed a web-based network that impacted sales in various areas – reduced the sales cycle and improved overall customer retention and services. Expected to reduce the closing timeline from 60 days down to less than 30.
- Nurtured and negotiated a relationship with 3BL Corporation, netting a $1.8M deal, the largest in company history.
Major Account Representative, 2001 – present
Independent Telephone Corporation, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Represent Fortune 500/1000 customers ranging from $250,000 to $1.2 million in sales volume; a combined portfolio of $39.1M. Client base includes Lennar Homes, PSS WorldMedical, Mercedes-Benz, and Bank of America. Coordinate and implement sales strategies across multiple business units.
Sales Manager, 1997 – 2001
Ohio Telephone Company, Columbus, OH
Oversaw $2M in sales – increased client base by 33% by seeking new markets within five states.
District Marketing Representative, 1995 – 1997
Insurance of Dayton, Tipp City, OH
Managed joint sales and marketing activities for 540 independent insurance agents.
Senior Marketing Representative, 1993 – 1995
Prominent Insurance, Huber Heights, OH
Worked with sales agents through the entire sales cycle – initial contact to closing the sale.
Account Executive, 1990 – 1993
Rose Consulting Group, Dayton, OH
Analyzed and restructured existing business processes to increase service / product positioning.
B.A., Business / Finance, 1990
Dayton University, Dayton, OH
Need a few tips for adding sales achievements to your resume? Achievements for sales reps and managers generally start with these areas:
- Sales & Market Growth
- Dollar Size & Length of Contracts Commitments
- Per-Client Sales Growth
- New Sales Channels Developed
- Strategic Partnerships Secured
- Account Retention
- Overall Revenue Increases
Example for adding achievements to your sales resume:
Identified upsell opportunities within the existing client base, which later grew per-client sales by an average $230,000. Collectively added $2.8M to territorial sales in the first 6 months and upsold another $7.3M over the past 3 years.
Joined after the company had lost ~30% of their clients due to a CEO scandal. Shifted the sales team to focus on smoothing over relationships with the profitable Top 50 client accounts. Saved an estimated $53.9 million in expected lost revenue and curtailed any increases to staff turnover amongst sales reps and account managers.